Current Affair of 21 July 2018. Read Important Current Affairs for UPSC/SSC/Bank and other state exam
Two Plus Two Dialogue Between India and US To Be Held In New Delhi
US State Department has announced that the inaugural ‘two-plus-two dialogue’ between India and the United States will be held in New Delhi in September 2018. Recently, the US had postponed the dialogue due to ‘unavoidable reasons’.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis will travel to India for the dialogue with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
NITI Aayog to launch Composite Water Management Index
NITI Aayog on June 13, 2018 announced to launch the Composite Water Management Index with an aim to achieve the objective of ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas’.
RS passes Prevention of Corruption Bill
- The Rajya Sabha passed the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Bill, 2013 which seeks to make giving bribes an offense with a provision of punishment.
- The Bill introduces the offense of giving a bribe as a direct offense. However, a person who is compelled to give a bribe will not be charged with the offense if he reports the matter to law enforcement authorities within 7 days.
Myanmar Joins International Solar Alliance
Myanmar joined the India-initiated International Solar Alliance (ISA), thus, becoming the 68th signatory to the Framework Agreement of the ISA that aims for optimum utilisation of solar energy.
Myanmar Minister for International Cooperation, Kyaw Tin handed over the ISA Framework Agreement to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj during a bilateral meeting on Delhi Dialogue 2018.
NABARD Award for Repco Micro Finance
Repco Micro Finance Ltd, a non-banking finance company promoted by Repco Bank, received Nabard 2018 award for its service to self-help group (SHG) linkage in Tamil Nadu for the fiscal year 2017-18.
Since its inception, the NBFC has disbursed loans amounting to Rs2,500 crore to over 10 lakh beneficiaries through 50,000 SHGs.
Crypto currencies would encourage illegal transactions: RBI to SC
Reserve Bank today told Supreme Court that allowing dealings in crypto currencies like Bitcoins will encourage illegal transactions and it has already issued a circular prohibiting use of these virtual currencies.
Crypto currencies are “a stateless digital currency” in which encryption techniques are used for trading and these ‘currencies’ operate independently of a central bank like the RBI, rendering it immune from government interference
ONGC Board Approves Exiting Pawan Hans
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has approved exiting its helicopter service provider Pawan Hans by selling its entire 49% stake
The move will cut debt and consolidate resources in this core oil and gas business. ONGC wants its interest to be clubbed with the 51% government stake that is already on offer for sale
Mithali Raj becomes first Indian to score 2,000 runs in T20 International
Mithali Raj has become the first Indian to score 2,000 runs in T20 International Cricket. She achieved the landmark during India’s seven-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the Women’s Asia Cup T20 at Kaula Lumpur yesterday. Mithali now has 2,015 runs from 75 matches.
She is the seventh woman to reach 2,000 runs in T20 format. The list is headed by England cricketer Charlotte Edwards with 2,605. India men’s team captain Virat Kohli with 1,983 runs is the next on the list, followed by Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina.
National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research
- Indian Government has recently renamed National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR) as “National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research”.
- NCAOR was formed in 1998 with an objective to conduct expedition to India’s base stations in Antarctica.
- NCAOR is under the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- The intent behind the name change is to show that government is refocusing its priorities to Arctic.
- It is because of the opportunities and challenges posed by climate change in Arctic.
- Now, India only has one Arctic observation station near Norway.
- India is already an observer at the Arctic Council.
Samagra Shiksha Scheme
- Samagra Shiksha is an Integrated Scheme for School Education formulated by the Department of School Education.
- It is a centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) subsumes 3 erstwhile CSS schemes such as Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) and Teacher Education (TE).
- It is an overarching programme for the school education sector extending from pre-school to class XII.
- It aims to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education at all levels of school education.
- It envisages the ‘school’ as a continuum from pre-school, primary, upper primary, secondary to senior secondary levels.
Click here to Download PDF